Monday, January 12, 2009

DR McKenzie, The GREAT!

Last week I took Logan and Wes for their well checkups. In case I haven't already told you, we have the best pediatrician in the world. Dr Mckenzie is amazing. She calls our house to check on the boys when they are sick. She has offered to babysit. (I'm not kidding) I have her HOME TELEPHONE NUMBER. Yes, although terrified to use it, I have her home telephone number. In times of desperation, I try to use it, but my fingers won't let me dial. I am terrified that my privileges may be revoked. Sometimes I open our address book just to make sure it's still there.

Back to my story.

Last week's appointment was enough to drive any mom to the brink. Wes and Logan each got 3 shots. Logan is at the age where he has come to the conclusion that going to the DR doesn't make his list of top ten fun things to do with your extra time. We were there for a long time and he became irritated, tired and claustrophobic. He wanted out. At one point he started hitting DR McKenzie.

Good times.

Towards the end of our stay, DR McKenzie looked at Jack (who was along for the ride), and had a heart to heart with him about potty training. Their conversation was short, sweet, and to the point. She told Jack that 3 year-olds use the potty. "No more diapers." she said. DR McKenzie also told Jack that she would be waiting for his phone call. She wanted him to leave her a message when he started to use the potty.

She promised to return his call.

As we drove home, Jack and I talked about his new mission. He asked me where his 'Big Boys' were. We got home and Jack picked a pair of big boy undies. Tomorrow was a new day. The boys had dinner and a bath and curled up in their beds. Jack curled up with his undies. While they were sleeping, the Diaper Fairy came and took all of Jack's diapers and left him skittles under his pillow.
(I knew I was saving the Halloween candy for a good reason)

Jack woke up a new man. He quickly reminded us of his discussion with "DR McKembzie". He took off his pull-up, and peed the Mississippi....IN THE POTTY. after a successful day, he left DR McKenzie a message. It went something like this: "Hi DR McKembzie, this is Jack. I goed pee pee and poo poo in the potty. Call me back."

The next day the phone rang. It was for Jack. As promised, DR. McKenzie was calling to congratulate him. He told her of his new-found success, and told her he loved her.

We all love her.
It's been almost 7 days now and Jack hasn't had one accident. He loves his new look. He proudly gazes at his new attire several times throughout the day. He likes to wear them backwards, because the opening in the front is "actually (his new word) a back pocket."

Derek and I are over the hump. Only two more to train. With the next two, we won't waste any time. Off to McKenzie's we shall go.
Her words are magic to my boys.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy -

hadn't been on in a while, but definitely fun to see what's happening. Glad to see that majority are potty trained!!!

Lorie said...

Will you ask Dr McKenzie to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE call Braden & lecture him?? Although, at this point, I'm not sure that would even work...

I give up.

Melody said...

WOW! Can I get Dr. McKenzie's #?? We're starting to train Michael and I am TERRIFIED! SHe sounds like the best pediatrician ever!
Way to go Jack!! I'm so proud of you!

Kristin said...

Can Dr McKenzie call Rachael, too? In two years of potty training her record is two days without an accident. Ugh.

Count your blessings!

Lauren O'Fallon said...

That is the best blog entry yet. Way to go Jackers! I'm so proud of you!

Unknown said...

Way to go Jack and kudos to Dr. McKenzie but honestly I'm more sidetracked about his stylin' GAP underwear. whatta stud! ;)