Like having a child cry so hard and hold his breath so long, he passes out.
Or having the same child get a black eye two days later.
And many, many more things that make your heart jump or your eyes tear.
But I promised. So here it is. (funny or not) PART TWO -
As a reward for good behavior, I came home after running errands with one of the all new Toy Story LEGO sets.
Let the record show that I ROCK when it comes to building Lego's. I never used to (As I'm sure Declan will chime in and attest to), but I've come a long way over the last 9 years.
You know those t-shirts urban mom's wear that say things like "Gold digger - and proud of it" "Looking forward to the next mom's night out" and a bunch of other sometimes funny, but mostly trashy sayings? I had a dream that I had one that said, "Bad-Ass Lego Builder"
Anyway.........
I sat with the boys for at least 2 or more hours building their new Lego set. I was enthralled and in the zone. The boys got tired and went upstairs to get jammied. Derek came back 10 minutes later and begged me to stop for the night. I ignored his request and continued to create. And then it happened. I got down to the last 10 pieces and realized one was missing. A tiny little headlight for "RC" (Buzz & Woody's sporty little race car). I searched the table, trash and carpet. Poor RC would have to get through the night with one headlight. Even more troublesome, was the fact that anxiety-ridden me would probably lose sleep over it. Stupid, but true.
I straightened up my mess and went upstairs to kiss my boys. I made my rounds in usual order, ending with Logan. He needs a little extra time when it comes to tucking in. First you have to rub his back, then his tummy, then his leg, then the other leg.....get the picture? As I kissed his forehead, he asked, "Can you pwease get dis out uf my nose?" "Do you have a boogie?" I asked.
"No." he answered. "I haf a wego."
I knew exactly what he meant. I whisked him into my arms and carried him to our bathroom counter where the light from our emergency flashlight confirmed my fears. There it was. RC's headlight was lodged deep inside Bogie's nose. Knowing he isn't great at blowing, and worried about him sniffing it even deeper, I threw on my jeans and we headed to the local urgent care facility. Our home away from home.
(Our experience there would require an entire post of it's own. A receptionist with no people skills, a DR. who has no empathy for children...or for all humankind for that matter.)
After a long wait, and a long lecture from the DR. regarding the fact that my 2 year old cannot yet blow his nose, we were on our way home. Wego-free.
As I tucked Logan back into bed, his brothers had one burning question - "Mom, did you bring the missing Lego back home? "
"No." I answered. "It looked kind of slimy."
I heard them all breathe a sigh of relief. Boogers and Lego's just don't mix.
Many thanks to Dec and Melody. Without you, this story may never have been told..:)


No comments:
Post a Comment