Monday, June 15, 2009

Give me noise, give me comfort.

Last Thursday through Saturday, my big boys, Evan, Luke and Jack, went camping with Grandma and Grandpa. They sat on our front porch for over two hours waiting for their chariot to arrive. As I watched the RV travel down our street, initial thoughts of the freedom I was about to experience in reverting back to a mother of two raced through my mind.
I had ONLY...
2 children to feed
2 mouths to wipe
2 car seats to buckle
2 kids to entertain
2 boys to chase
2 brothers in the tub
You get the idea.

I had a long list of errands to run and things I would enjoy during all of my extra 'mommy time'.
The big boys had only been gone a few hours when I decided to load the car and venture out with my '2' children. How easy is this? I thought. My arrogance burst before my eyes and I was quickly snapped back into reality when all of the sudden, my '2' children were locked inside my car. As I watched the firefighters' attempts to free my children, something became very prevalent. Having only 2 children really throws me off my game.
The next 48 hours were hard for me. I need (and thrive upon) the following:

5 children to feed
5 mouths to wipe
5 car seats/boosters to buckle
5 kids to entertain
5 boys to chase
5 brothers in the tub
You get the idea.

I missed the noise in my house that having a large brood creates. I missed the brotherly battles that seem to erupt every 3 minutes. I missed being a short-order cook and preparing 5 different meals 3 times a day. I missed the sight of an overly-crowded bathtub. I missed 5 visitors on my bed every morning at 6AM SHARP.

On Saturday afternoon, I sat on our front porch and eagerly waited for this to arrive:

I'd like to report that I am sleeping more peacefully now that they are all under one roof again.
Side note: If your kids are ever camping, don't read this book while they're gone:
I learned the hard way.

My boys had a blast and have not stopped talking about fishing, roasting marshmallows, and meeting Yogi Bear.

I'm having a blast with my noisy house, wrestling matches, and nonstop cooking. Things are back to normal, and it's the best feeling in the world.

3 comments:

Your Man said...

We don't have a photo of Logey taunting you from inside the locked car. I think a re-enactment is in order to capture the moment and do this blog justice.

declan said...

Don't worry, soon you will have seven boys in your house (and maybe a black lab). You will be sleeping like a baby!

Kristin said...

Isn't it funny how you can't wait for them to leave... and then as soon as they do, you can't wait until they get home? So true.