Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Relocation...

Things are bittersweet for me as I climb the stairs this morning. Our wonderful little frat house of brothers is no longer there. The playroom is gone and now houses two boys. What used to be the Olivas frat, now houses two boys as well. (Wes continues to stake his claim to a room of his own......just one of the perks of being the youngest.)

The boys have been dropping hints to us for several weeks about the possibility of splitting up. Derek and I have been doing our best to ignore their efforts. Last week they cornered us during (what seemed to be) normal dinnertime conversation. They shared their ideas for placement of furniture and gave us their first and second choices of which brother they would 'do best' rooming with. Yes, our sons successfully organized an intervention.

Derek and I had no rebuttal. Early Sunday morning we dropped the babes at Dee & Papa's and headed home with the big boys. We took apart (and later reassembled) two sets of bunk beds, moved dressers, bookcases & toys, and gave each room a fresh new look. We've got a lot that still needs to be done, and the boys have grand plans for us (new paint colors, etc.), but it's a start.

The boys are loving their new sleeping arrangements. I, however, am having a hard time. Not with the new room assignments (it's so cute to see how excited the boys are...we probably should have done it sooner), but with the fact that we have no play room. Call me crazy. I fell in love with having ONE ROOM designated for the storage and placement of toys. I'm not used to (and don't like the cluttered look of) toys strewn throughout my house. Our front room now holds our play kitchen and I have repeatedly found myself tripping over pizza and ice cream for the past 48 hours.

I told the boys it's high time for them to step up. So, along with new rooms this weekend, they each received (each meaning everyone over the age of 3) a new chore chart. Aren't I nice?


Get to work, my sons.

4 comments:

Your Man said...

Bogey is the one that needs the chore chart. Kids got enough energy for it, that's for sure.

Danielle Roe said...

Wow, little monkeys ambushed you! How nice of them! I hope the new digs are working out! I feel you on the desire for a TOY ROOM. We only have 3 bedrooms, and the boys just moved in together last July (so under a year ago). Extra room was converted into a play room. I am already panicking that WHAT IF we have another child... where will he or she go, cuz we can't give up the playroom, but we don't want the baby in the boys' room or ours... ahhh! The trauma of it all! :)

declan said...

Funny!

Ryan had an intervention last night too, after he brushed his teeth, he climbed into his "big boy bed" and said "I sleep here tonight". And there he stayed. All night. Without a peep.

Lorie said...

so who is where? What brothers "do best" together? I can't wait to see it. I'll be out in a few weeks if you want help painting and/or decorating!