Tuesday, May 19, 2009

200 Little Hitchhikers

First off, let me say that I am reluctant to EVER post again. It seems you, my (thousands and thousands of) readers, enjoyed taking a peek into what it's like to prepare meals at my house. Imagine my joy in finding 9 comments....a Gang Of Seven record. Shall we do breakfast? It's even more exciting. Stick around, breakfast is headed to a computer near you. PS-I'd like to see what it's like to cook in your home. I think we're on to something here.....

As a reward for above average listening skills during swim lessons last Saturday, I took the entomologist in training (Luke) to the local garden center to purchase his annual Praying Mantis pods. (see picture below)

Each year we successfully hatch 500 of these intriguing insects and release them into our garden. We continue to find them (sometimes in our house) all summer long.


Yesterday Luke pointed to the shelf where the 2 pods peacefully rest in their container for 2 weeks until hatching. He told me he thought they had hatched. I explained (without investigation) that it will be a while longer.

Then he told me 'something' was moving. That got ME moving.

To my utter horror, I saw about 200 of these.....

(baby spiders)

I called the garden center and spoke with a woman like this....


It made me want to put these on and drive straight there....



"We need proof!" She hissed. "Bring the baby spiders and we'll give you new praying mantis pods."

Tomorrow I will happily drive the infant arachnids directly to her. Yes, I'm waiting until tomorrow. I want to make sure every last 100 of them have a fair chance to hatch.

Baby spiders she asked for. Baby spiders she shall receive.

I've always been a giver.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

You are a great mom to actually *buy* bugs for your children. Wow.

I hope all 100 of your spiders hatch! And that you can dump them on her head.

Lorie said...

yuck! did you get them exchanged??

Lorie said...

ps - i'll post a dinner at our house soon, although there's no way it can top yours (unless maybe Dec hangs himself from a motorized vehicle)...