Friday, May 15, 2009

Homemade Lasagna 101

Someone recently asked me if I cooked dinner every night. I try. I truly do love to cook and bake. But sometimes....OK, MOST times, it's proves to be a daunting task.

As I began to cook last nights meal (lasagna), I decided to chronicle my efforts from start to finish. I hung my camera around my neck and hit the ground running.

Here it is, folks. Cooking with Amy
Tonight's recipe: Gluten-Free Lasagna
A Photo Journal~
Send the chillins outside with popsicles. Try to find the biggest ones in your freezer. The longer it takes them to eat them, the more time you have to cook....ALONE!
Start to brown the Italian sausage
Turn on the People's Court (should be step one, clearly I wasn't thinking straight. Notice baby sleeping peacefully on monitor. Never neglect your duties as a mom. ALWAYS place monitor near T.V.)
Grease 9 x 13 inch pan and begin with a layer of sauce. (Yes, that's Prego you see in the background. Forgive me.) Search fridge and find you have no parmesan. Things could be worse. At least you got to shower this morning.
Stop for first interruption. Child claims to have a cut 'wif awot of bwood.'
Child can't remember which finger obtained significant injury. Maybe it's this one...
Start to place bandage on child's (invisible) laceration. Child goes ballistic. Pick your battle and allow child to do it himself.
Miss the verdict. Crap. (Silently place blame on not-so-injured child)
Begin to cook again. But only for a second. Crying ensues from the back yard. Popsicles are long gone and child has hung himself (by his shorts) from motorized vehicle. Assist child.
Make sure child is OK. Give hug and kiss. Refrain from laughing, and go back inside.
Start to crave this:
Quickly realize it's only this: (place wine back in fridge...you CAN do it!)
Begin where you left off (wherever that was) Get interrupted again. This time, by a child with flowers....FOR YOU! Hug and kiss the child all over. Resume.
Finish first layer. Take a deep breath. You may actually complete this.
Become distracted by child handing you BBQ tools through open window. Though not as pleasing as flowers, politely say thank you and smoother child with kisses.
Put BBQ tools away and check on children.
Finish last layer and not a moment too soon. Child in bathroom needs his fanny wiped.
WASH HANDS, then place lasagna in oven.
Place naughty child in time out. Notice how he smirks as you walk away. Count to ten and take another deep breath. Begin to clean up.
Doorbell rings. (Frick.) Open the door and find your son arriving home from school. Attempt to smoother with kisses. Hold back tears as he wipes them off.
Reward yourself for a job well-done!
Child has meltdown. Reluctantly share your See's candy with him.
Stop to ponder your child's hair. Wonder why it looks like Kevin Bacon's.
Take all children outside to wait for daddy. Try your best to understand the gripping lure of Star Wars. Give up trying.
Husband arrives and saves the day. House smells of homemade goodness and he thinks you're wonderful. (he's right) Dig in.

9 comments:

Your Man said...

Another great blog....love it!

Wish I could have been there to see Bogey get hung up on the Jeep. Hilarious!

I challenge any Mom to keep up with you day after day...you're the bomb babe!

Meg said...

Sounds AMAZING to me!!!! I love it!
I really liked this story! and the pictures made it even better!
Love you!

declan said...

I can't stop laughing at bogs on the jeep!

Danielle Roe said...

Everything about this is perfectly hilarious. And I am totally going to steal this idea. Of course, if I try to steal it, my children will act like angels for an hour for the first time in their lives and it won't be nearly as clever as I want it to be. :)

Unknown said...

derek doesn't pay you nearly enough to do that job!

Kristin said...

Loved loved loved this!! So funny!

I can't believe you share your See's... I certainly don't. I keep M&Ms around in case I feel like I need to share chocolate.

I can't believe you ever get a meal made at your house... you are truly amazing!

Melody said...

you are amazing! I love this blog! I've always wondered what a day in the life of Amy is like, now I know....sort of. You Rock girl! Oh and I see nothing wrong with having a drink at 3 in the afternoon. :P

Anonymous said...

Amy!! This blog cRaCkEd me up. Loved the pic of Logan on the jeep! Totally priceless. And loved the action pic of feet on the potty, clever! This was fabulous and thanks for the entertainment at your expense. You are great. ;)

Lorie said...

Just may be your best post! I love the feet on the potty pic!