Monday, March 9, 2009

Surgery...

Logan had surgery this morning to remove a cyst from the side of his head. (Evan had the same surgery when he was two years old) We arrived at the hospital at 6:00 AM. We got checked in and waited a long two hours before they were ready to begin. Logan wasn't happy about being there. He's at the age where he can smell a hospital/Dr's office from a mile away, and he prefers to stay clear! They changed him into the cutest hospital gown I'd ever seen. (I tried to accidentally pack it into our take-home bag, but I was unsuccessful.) They allowed one parent to accompany him into the operating room. Was it even up for discussion? I think not! This was a job for Mommy. I had to dress just like a DR with full scrubs, booties covering my shoes, and a cute little hair net.
I looked super official.

We walked into the OR, and the anesthesiologist did his best to get Logan to breath the 'night night air' from the mask. Yeah, right. "Does he like chocolate, Mom?" The anesthesiologist asked. "Doesn't everyone?" I replied. Soon the DR was 'scenting' Logan's mask with the lovely smell of cocoa. Now he was interested. After a few squirms and only five deep breaths, he was off to la la land. I gave him a kiss and was quickly ushered into the waiting room.

Less than 30 minutes later, the DR came out and told us things couldn't have been more perfect. Another 10 minutes passed, and we were reunited with our groggy little man. It took him a while to wake up from his meds, but once he did, he was his usual demanding self. "Popsicle!" He shrieked. I've never seen a nurse run so fast. This kid knows how to get what he wants. He devoured his popsicle, they removed his IV, and we were on our way back home, where his four (very worried) brothers awaited his arrival.

A very happy ending, indeed.
Here are a few pics. They are horrible quality (taken from my phone since my camera is still down and out).
Waiting for things to begin. Watching Shrek to pass the time.
Eating the popsicle he demanded....and not wasting a drop. They had his left arm splinted in a cast to keep him from pulling his IV out. It was a smiley face cast....this was one stylin' hospital!

Going home. Not a moment too soon.

Snug as a bug in a rug (at home in his very own bed) with the new Buzz Lightyear from Dee and Papa. Surgery isn't so bad after all.

4 comments:

Lorie said...

Glad everything went well! What a trooper!

declan said...

Good job Logan! even though everything was PK, it still made me sad to think of you leaving the OR. He is a trooper though.


give him another popsicle from Uncle Dec

declan said...

that was meant to say OK. the p is next to the o, so I was close....

Unknown said...

awww poor little guy, what a trooper. glad everything went well! btw, he is sooo cute as are all your boys! :)