Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Growing Pains and Second Grade Fashion...

The boys continue to grow in their sleep. Each morning they seem more grown up to me than the last.

Take for instance....

Evan - Evan has become increasingly aware of his looks lately. He never leaves the house without combing his hair - and I don't even ask him to do it. He was in dire need of pants last week and I took him with me to make sure I got the right size. It's a good thing I did, because I would have bought all the wrong things. It's apparent that I know nothing about second grade fashion. I would give anything to have my kids attend a school that required uniforms, life would be so easy!
Evan's newly-acquired self-image awareness is even rubbing off on his brothers. Luke slicked his hair back before coming downstairs for breakfast. After eating I announced it was time for all short people to get dressed. Luke quickly protested, telling me his hair would get messed up if he took his pajama shirt off. I promised to help him take it off carefully. No good. We agreed on a fresh pair of pants and undies (leaving his pajama shirt and hair untouched) and went about our day. Pick your battles, I reminded myself. Pick your battles.
Derek and I had a standoff with Evan yesterday morning while getting him ready for school. It was snowing and we informed him that the hoodie he was wearing was not a sufficient coat for a wet spring snowstorm. Our conversation went something like this:

Derek- Evan, put your coat on.
Evan- No. I'm not wearing that coat. I don't like that coat. It's my worst coat EVER!
Me- Why is it your worst coat ever? I thought you liked that coat. You were with me when I bought it and you even helped me pick it out.
Evan- NUH-UH! YOU picked it out by yourself, and it makes me look like a first grader! It's a coat for babies and I'm not wearing it. (I searched my mental files and he was right. He was not with me when I purchased the coat. A mistake I vow never to make again.)
Derek- Evan, put your coat on NOW!
Me- Evan, winter is almost over. This may be the last time you ever have to wear it. We'll wash it up and it will be Luke's coat for next year. I promise to take you with me this fall and let you pick out a new winter coat.
Evan- FINE! (He puts the coat on and proceeds to the door)
Me- I love you.
Evan- (silence)
Derek- He said he loves you.
Evan- I did not! I didn't say anything!
Me- (thinking....ouch, that hurts.)

When he came home from school, I asked him two questions that had been eating at me all day long-

Me- Hey Ev, why is this coat a baby coat? It looks like a cool skater coat to me.
Evan- Because, Mom.....skater coats don't have hoods.
Me- Remember this morning when I told you I loved you? You didn't say anything back.
Evan- Oh yeah. I don't think I heard you. Love you, Mom.


Good to know, Good to know.

Post-Edit-Thanks to Lorie, for reminding me that Evan has always had a 'unique' sense of fashion. Here he is at age 2. Be sure to read what Auntie Lorie said on the comments page.

6 comments:

Lorie said...

Evan's always had a style of his own. Remeber preschool picture day when he insisted on the camo pants, blue button-down shirt, & huge tie? How about the time when he was 3 or 4 and you had to take him to the Dr wearing a halloween costume that would only fit a 1 year old?

Yes. The kid has a style of his own. Good luck with that!

Kristin said...

Aren't you just dying to be his mom when he's a teenager? Those will be some fun times, I'm sure.

Unknown said...

wow, drama in 2nd grade already! I would have let him freeze if the coat wasn't cool. haha, jk. I thought that photo was one of Logan until I read the post. :)

Anonymous said...

FYI he wears his hood on his hooded sweatshirt a lot! I guess hood is different from his coat hood?

Ashley

Amy said...

HA! The secret is out! What a stinker. I guess there MUST be something different about a hoodie VS a hood on a coat. Whatever!

declan said...

Don't forget about the dust mask that he used as a hat for 6-months. Funny. I remember drama about my coats when i was a kid, I wonder if mom remembers.