Flying solo all day long while hubby is at work is a trying task for any mom. While there's no place I'd rather be, there are days where I wonder if I'll make it through.
Yesterday was one of those days.
The madness (and solo-ness) continued into the evening as Derek and Evan spent their night at the Bronco's game. This is the 3rd....maybe 4th game Derek has left me for hours on end while he enjoyed peace and *quiet at Invesco field, but I'm not one to keep score.
*Trust me, the decibels heard within these walls could rival any stadium.
I don't mean to sound whiny, but for 14 hours yesterday I never got a minute to myself. Each bathroom break I heard someone calling my name and saw tiny fingers pushing their way in from under the door. This makes me think of Derek while he's at work. Does he ever stop to think how different things would be if his colleagues followed him to the bathroom, banging on the door while shouting his name? What if he saw their fingers reaching under the door? Yes, I'll bet he takes peeing in private for granted.
As our night began, I reached into the fridge to grab my beloved glass of wine. Much to my dismay, there was less than half a glass remaining. How many hours until bedtime?
Wine or no wine, I can do this.
2.5 hours later, we began the bedtime routine. Once jammied, 4 little men hopped into my bed. No need to ask for permission. All my boys know that if Daddy is gone, they're given the green light to slumber with mom. I need someone to serve and protect, don't I?
10:00 rolled around and 3 out of 4 were still wide awake. Jack and Logan began drifting into dreamland, while Luke, the ever-inquisitive interrogator, asked me question #137 in a matter of 10 minutes.
"Mom?" he whispered.
"Luke, this is the last question, OK? Your brothers are trying to get to sleep and it's late."
"OK, mom." he complied. "Remember those cookies we made tonight?"
"Yes."
"You said I could have one and I forgot to eat it."
"You can have yours in the morning. We can't eat cookies this late."
"But why not?"
"Because you'll get sugar bugs in your teeth and DR. Fox won't be happy."
Five whole minutes went by and not a peep was heard. Then this....
"Mama?"
"Yes, Luke."
"Do we give Santa cookies on Christmas Eve?"
Not making any kind of connection whatsoever, I reluctantly answered his question.
"We do, Luke. Now go to sleep."
"But mama?"
"Luke, no more questions, it's almost 10:30 and......" He cut me off mid sentence.
"I just was thinking that it's not good for Santa to eat cookies when it's late at night. If he eats cookies at ALL the houses, he's gonna get A LOT of sugar bugs too!"
"You're right, Luke. But I'll bet he brushes as soon as he gets back to the North Pole."
Silence ensued.....but it didn't last long.
"Mom....just one more question."
"What, Luke?"
"What's the name of Santa's dentist?"
"The Tooth Fairy."
"I was thinkin' that." he said. "I love you, Mom."
"I love you too, buddy."
When all 4 boys were finally asleep, I stared at the ceiling and began to think.....
Yesterday was one of those days.
The madness (and solo-ness) continued into the evening as Derek and Evan spent their night at the Bronco's game. This is the 3rd....maybe 4th game Derek has left me for hours on end while he enjoyed peace and *quiet at Invesco field, but I'm not one to keep score.
*Trust me, the decibels heard within these walls could rival any stadium.
I don't mean to sound whiny, but for 14 hours yesterday I never got a minute to myself. Each bathroom break I heard someone calling my name and saw tiny fingers pushing their way in from under the door. This makes me think of Derek while he's at work. Does he ever stop to think how different things would be if his colleagues followed him to the bathroom, banging on the door while shouting his name? What if he saw their fingers reaching under the door? Yes, I'll bet he takes peeing in private for granted.
As our night began, I reached into the fridge to grab my beloved glass of wine. Much to my dismay, there was less than half a glass remaining. How many hours until bedtime?
Wine or no wine, I can do this.
2.5 hours later, we began the bedtime routine. Once jammied, 4 little men hopped into my bed. No need to ask for permission. All my boys know that if Daddy is gone, they're given the green light to slumber with mom. I need someone to serve and protect, don't I?
10:00 rolled around and 3 out of 4 were still wide awake. Jack and Logan began drifting into dreamland, while Luke, the ever-inquisitive interrogator, asked me question #137 in a matter of 10 minutes.
"Mom?" he whispered.
"Luke, this is the last question, OK? Your brothers are trying to get to sleep and it's late."
"OK, mom." he complied. "Remember those cookies we made tonight?"
"Yes."
"You said I could have one and I forgot to eat it."
"You can have yours in the morning. We can't eat cookies this late."
"But why not?"
"Because you'll get sugar bugs in your teeth and DR. Fox won't be happy."
Five whole minutes went by and not a peep was heard. Then this....
"Mama?"
"Yes, Luke."
"Do we give Santa cookies on Christmas Eve?"
Not making any kind of connection whatsoever, I reluctantly answered his question.
"We do, Luke. Now go to sleep."
"But mama?"
"Luke, no more questions, it's almost 10:30 and......" He cut me off mid sentence.
"I just was thinking that it's not good for Santa to eat cookies when it's late at night. If he eats cookies at ALL the houses, he's gonna get A LOT of sugar bugs too!"
"You're right, Luke. But I'll bet he brushes as soon as he gets back to the North Pole."
Silence ensued.....but it didn't last long.
"Mom....just one more question."
"What, Luke?"
"What's the name of Santa's dentist?"
"The Tooth Fairy."
"I was thinkin' that." he said. "I love you, Mom."
"I love you too, buddy."
When all 4 boys were finally asleep, I stared at the ceiling and began to think.....
How petty are the 'wonders' we adults waste our time speculating? Shame on me for wondering if Derek gets to pee in private.
Inquiring about Santa's oral hygiene is much less stressful and far more enjoyable.
Thank you, Luke, for keeping me up late last night and teaching me how to 'wonder' again.
Your gift was much appreciated.
Love,
Mom


1 comment:
Beautiful story (except for the peeing part).
These boys keep us young. I love it!
Post a Comment