Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Meet Sarah...


Jack and I were playing 'kitchen' earlier this evening. I requested a cup of much-needed coffee and Jack happily made it for me. "Oh wait." He said. "I forgot your cweam." He shook in a generous amount of pretend 'cweam' and together we sat, drinking our coffee.

Then the coffee talk began.

Me-You make an awesome cup of coffee, Jack! Who taught you this?

Jack-Sarah did.

Me-Sarah? Who's Sarah?

Jack-My girlfriend. He stands up on his chair and raises his hand above his head. She's this big and when she's here, I'm this big too.

Me-I see. I didn't know you had a girlfriend. Where does she live?

Jack-Over there. Pointing out the window in no particular direction.

Me-When did she teach you how to make coffee?

Jack-She invited me to her house and she cooked me dinner. I watched her cook and I wearned how to make coffee. She makes good coffee.

Me-Wow, she sounds like a nice girl. What did she cook you for dinner?

Jack-Pizza and corn.


Me-I like pizza and corn.

Jack-Me too.

Me-Tell me more about Sarah. What does she look like? Is she here now?

Jack-We had a sweepover at my house and I kissed her head and told her I loved her, but she went home and swept on her own bed. She has brown hair and brown eyes and she's pwetty. A wot of people have brown hair and brown eyes, huh, mom?

Me-Yes, Jack, a lot of people do. So is she here?

Jack-No. She's at work.

We finished our coffee and headed to the kitchen for some 'real' food. We're sitting at the dinner table and Derek begins to ask Jack about his girlfriend, Sarah.

Derek-So tell me about Sarah, Jack.

Jack-Well, she's this tall. Standing on his dinner chair raising his hand above his head to show Sarah's height. And when she's here, I'm this tall, too.

Derek-Is she here right now?

Jack-No, but she's coming over. Can I be excused?

Mom & Dad(in unison)-Yes.

I start to clear the table and try to process what just transpired. It's our first real imaginary friend, and it's a girl. Just then, I hear the front door open and close. Running (and thinking Logan escaped....again) I find Jack standing there.

"Who went out the door?" I ask.

"No one. It was just Sarah. She's here now."

"Can I see her?" I ask.

"Just a minute, mom. We're talking."

As I make my way back to the kitchen, once again, I hear the door open and close. This time I approach it at a much slower speed.

"Who opened the door?"

"It was Sarah. She weft. She had to get back to work."

Only time will answer the dozens of remaining questions I have about the newest member of our family. How long has she been around? Is that who Jack has been 'talking' to whenever I hear him chattering in the next room?

Welcome to the family, Sarah. I hope our Gang Of Seven doesn't frighten you away any time soon.

PS-Thanks for sleeping in your own bed.

2 comments:

Lorie said...

I'd love to have a girl in the family - even if she is only imaginary!

Melody said...

That si so cute! Michael has had a few imaginary friends. Lets see there was Bob and one point and now the latest is Guy. No girls yet.
And yes, please Sarah, please continue to sleep in your own bed until you and Jack are married. :)