
Yesterday was Thursday folder day. I LOVE Thursday folder day. If you've ever wondered what your child has been doing at school, Thursday folders embrace your answer.
This excitement makes the walk home from the bus stop on Thursdays seem like an eternity. As soon as we step foot inside our front door (and as soon as I've double-checked to make sure I haven't mistakenly left a child unattended in the garage....not like it's ever happened), I plop down onto the floor and begin the Thursday folder RAID.
As I sorted through Evan's, I came across an assignment he did the first week of school. A Bio-Poem, to be exact. Here's what it said:
My Bio-Poem
Evan
Athletic, nice, thoughtful and 48 inches tall.
4 brothers.
Lover of: Water, baseball and books.
Who feels: Heavy, tall and sleepy.
Who needs: Sister, new socks and new shorts.
Who gives: Learning to brothers, bedtime stories and time alone.
Who fears: Ugly spiders, toads and ugly plants.
Who would like to: Buy everything, to own everything and to be an Indian.
Your city: Highlands Ranch, Fox Fire Lane.
Last name: Olivas
(I just cried...again...as I typed that.)
To my son, Evan~
Yes, you ARE nice, thoughtful and 48 inches tall.
I LOVE that you love books.
I hope that you only feel heavy and tall because you are growing so quickly before my eyes. The sleepy part we need to discuss. An earlier bedtime, perhaps?
I wasn't aware that you needed new socks, but I just inventoried your sock drawer and you are correct. Sorry about the oversight, dude. I'll get right on that. I WAS aware that you desired a sister. This part made mommy's heart ache. It has been a life-long dream of mine to adopt a baby girl from China. I'm not sure if I've ever told you, but when my brother was born and I found out he wasn't a baby girl from China, I protested. I have grown to love him, but it wasn't always easy. If mommy and daddy could find a way to bring a precious baby girl into our loving home, we would do it tomorrow. Never say never.
You are, indeed, a VERY giving boy. Not a day goes by where I am not thankful and proud of the person you are growing to be. Your brothers have learned most of what they know from you and I know that they appreciate each and every bedtime story you give.
Your fear of spiders was a gift from me. Sorry to have handed that one down. As for the toads and ugly plants, I will do my best to protect you from them.
As far as buying and owning everything, as your parents, we are doing our best to give you everything your heart could ever desire...and more. However, these things are not items money can buy. LOVE, SUPPORT, COURAGE, RESPECT, WISDOM, EXPERIENCE, HEALTH....the list goes on. Do you want to know the best part? You can own as many as you want.....for free.
Since you were 2, you have always wanted to be an Indian. (This one didn't surprise me) While I can't promise you'll ever become one, I could take you to the library to check out some books about them. Deal?
You amaze me.
(in tears again)
Love,
Mom
PS-I'm sorry I had to send you to bed last night with no dessert. It's tough being a parent and trying to do the right thing. You've earned a double-scoop tonight.


3 comments:
That's some deep bloggin baby...love it!
I couldn't have described his bio any better. You are the greatest woman to ever walk the earth!
awww, very sweet Amy. You're an awesome mommy and have a beautiful family.
thanks for typing that on here, because I had NO idea what the categories were supposed to be for the poem! Need to go make a note for myself...
Post a Comment