
If you ask us the last time we
sat down to eat breakfast, Derek and I will tell you it was in December of '07. All four boys in the loving care of family, we headed to Napa for 3 blissful days.
(I know, I know....I've told this story one hundred times, but it never seems to get old.) Our last and final baby was only 6 months old and it was time for Mommy and Daddy re energize. I distinctly remember the meals we shared even more so than the winery tours themselves. Sitting quietly together, the only noise we heard was the music playing softly through the restaurant speakers overhead. We didn't even glance at the kiddie menu. We had no need to rearrange the salt & pepper shakers, sugar packets, utensils, coffee cups, water glasses, candles or flowers that graced our table. For there was no one there to dismantle them. Our food arrived and we ate....while it was still hot. No one needed more juice, help cutting their pancakes, or a chaperoned trip to the potty. Derek and I talked....
with each other. And we repeated this for 3 lovely mornings in a row.
Things have changed somewhat since then. Breakfast is loud. Mornings are chaotic. They sit down and eat while it's still hot. We prefer to stand and eat cold cereal. There will be several spills, a few arguments, and assistance may be needed in the potty a time or two. Standing makes sense. Perhaps the most important reason we stand, is to protect the most valuable souvenir we acquired while in Napa.
He's a keeper.
2 comments:
CLASSIC!!
I had a feeling you were going to make a blog out of that pic, and you floored me again. You just keep outdoing yourself with your writing. I'm laughing out loud.
Man, I love that Wes-baby!
I love that story, too! It will never get old!
Post a Comment